Uses of medication:
Milrinone injection is recommended in order to used for the short-term intravenous therapy of the severe congestive heart failure, irresponsive to the conventional maintenance therapy and in acute heart failure including the low output states after the cardiac surgery.
Dosage: The Milrinone Injection should be administered with a loading dose after the maintenance dose as follows:
Loading dose for adults: 50 micrograms/kg; should be administered slowly (over a period of 10 minutes).
Maintenance dose for adults: 0.375 to 0.75 micrograms/kg/min. The maximum daily dose of 1.13 mg/kg should not be exceeded.
Intravenous loading dose for children: 50 to 75 μg/kg should be administered over 30-60 minutes.
Intravenous continuous infusion for children: It should be started on the behalf of the hemodynamic response and the possible onset of undesirable effects between 0.25 to 0.75 μg/kg/min for a period up to 35 hours.
Over dose of milrinone may be responsible for producing hypotension due to its vasodilator effect. In this case, use of milrinone lactate injection is reduced or discontinued until the patient’s condition stabilizes.
The most commonly reported milrinone side effects include:
- Ventricular ectopic activity
- Ventricular tachycardia
- Supra-ventricular arrhythmias
Warnings and Precautions:
- Patients receiving Milrineon 10mg must be closely monitored during the infusion.
- The administration of Milrineon is not recommended in pregnant women.
- Caution should be imposed when milrinone lactate injection is given to the nursing women, since it might be excreted in her milk.
- Careful monitoring of the infusion site must be maintained in order to avoid the possible extravasation.
- While on milrinone injection 1mg, blood pressure as well as heart rate should be monitored.
- The infusion rate should be stopped or slowed in patients showing the excessive decreases in the blood pressure.
- Administration of the milrinone injection 1mg is not recommended in patients who are with the severe obstructive aortic or pulmonic valvular disease.
- This injection is contraindicated in patients who are hypersensitive to it.