What is GLEEVEC ™?
GLEEVEC is indicated for the treatment of
- Newly diagnosed adult patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in chronic phase. Follow-up is limited to 5 years
- Patients with Philadelphia chromosome positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in blast crisis (BC), accelerated phase (AP), or in chronic phase (CP) after failure of interferon-alpha therapy
- Pediatric patients with Ph+ CML in chronic phase who are newly diagnosed or whose disease has recurred after stem cell transplant or who are resistant to interferon-alpha therapy.
- Adult patients with relapsed or refractory Philadelphia chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia (Ph+ ALL)
- Adult patients with myelodysplastic/ myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD) associated with PDGFR (platelet-derived growth factor receptor) gene re-arrangements
- Adult patients with aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM) without the D816V c-Kit mutation or with cKit mutational status unknown
- Adult patients with hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and/or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) who have the FIP1L1-PDGFRα fusion kinase (mutational analysis or FISH demonstration of CHIC2 allele deletion) and for patients with HES and/or CEL who are FIP1L1-PDGFRα fusion kinase negative or unknown
- Adult patients with unresectable, recurrent and/or metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP)
- Patients with Kit (CD117) positive unresectable and/or metastatic malignant gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST).
Gleevec (imatinib mesylate) uses: Imatinib mesylate belongs to kinase inhibitor class drug used in the treatment of several diseases such as:
- Imatinib mesylate is effective in the treatment of gastrointestinal stromal tumor with C-Kit positive. It is one of the best medications for gastrointestinal stromal tumor treatment. A patient diagnosed with Philadelphia chromosome-positive chronic myeloid leukemia (Ph+ CML) in their chronic phase.
- The patient has undergone interferon-alpha therapy or stem cell transplant suffering from chronic myeloid leukemia.
- This therapy is effectively used in the treatment of myelodysplastic/ myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD).
- Patients surviving with aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM) or chronic eosinophilic leukemia (CEL) are taking this drug.
- Metastatic dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP) in patients are treated with this therapy.
General warning: Edema and severe fluid retention are common in a patient taking this medication. This drug when taken in case of pregnancy may cause potential harm to the embryo.