Viltepso (Viltolarsen) is an antisense oligonucleotide used for the treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) in patients who have a confirmed mutation of the DMD gene that is amenable to exon 53 skipping.
Dosage: The recommended dose of Viltolarsen is 80 mg/kg administered once weekly as a 60 minute intravenous infusion. If a viltolarsen dose is missed, it should be administered as soon as possible after the scheduled dose time. Serum cystatin C, urine dipstick, and urine protein-to-creatinine ratio should be assessed prior to initiating Viltolarsen therapy. Consider measurement of glomerular filtration rate prior to initiation of Viltolarsen treatment. Monitoring for kidney toxicity during therapy is recommended.
Side Effects: The most commonly reported viltolarsen side effects (incidence ≥15%) include:
- Injection site reaction
- Upper respiratory tract infection
Warnings and Precautions:
- Inform each of your health specialists about all your medical conditions, allergies, and all medicines you use.
- During treatment with viltolarsen 250 mg, monitor urine dipstick every month, and serum cystatin C and urine protein-to-creatinine ratio every three months.
- Patients with known renal function impairment should be precisely monitored while on treatment with viltolarsen injection.
- Your healthcare professional will perform blood tests to make sure you do not have conditions that would prevent you from safely using viltepso 250 mg injection.