Uses of medication: Betamethasone is a steroid medicine used in the treatment of several autoimmune disorders such as:
- Rheumatic disorders such as systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Skin diseases such as Psoriasis and dermatitis.
- Allergy problems such as angioedema and asthma.
- Crohn’s disease
- preterm labor in order to speed the development of the baby’s lungs.
- Cancers such as leukemia with fludrocortisone for the adrenocortical insufficiency.
This drug is available in cream form to prevent any skin irritation, allergy, or disorder and also helps in reducing inflammation.
Dosage: The cream should be applied in a thin layer over the affected area one or two times daily. Discontinue cream if severe allergic reactions occur. In case of a missed dose apply the ointment as soon as you recall.
Treatment reactions: Some reported side effect of betamethasone cream include:
- Muscle weakness
- Risk of infection
- Severe allergic reaction
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Skin irritation
- Increased hair growth