As a kinase inhibitor, the medication abemaciclib is indicated:
- together with an aromatase inhibitor as initial endocrine-based therapy for treating postmenopausal women with HR-positive, HER2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
- together with fulvestrant for treating women with HR-positive, HER2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer with disease progression after endocrine therapy.
- in the form of monotherapy in order to treat adult patients with HR-positive, HER2-negative advanced or metastatic breast cancer.
Dosage: The recommended initial dose together with fulvestrant or an aromatase inhibitor is 150 mg twice in a day.
The recommended initial dose as monotherapy is 200 mg twice in a day.
Tablets should be consumed with or without food. Swallow the verzenio tablets whole, without chewing, crushing. Do not take such tablets that are broken, cracked, or damaged. Consume your doses at about the same time every day.
In case you puke or miss a verzenio dose, take your next dose at about regular time. Avoid consuming 2 doses at the same time to make up for the forgotten/missed dose.
If you consume excess dose, call your doctor or visit the nearest hospital emergency room as soon as you can.
Treatment Reactions: The most commonly reported adverse reactions with verzenio abemaciclib may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Decreased appetite
Warnings and Precautions:
- Patients should be monitored for the complete blood counts before the start of therapy, every 2 weeks for the initial couple of months, monthly for the upcoming couple of months.
- Before taking Ramiven, talk to your doctor if you’ve fever, chills, or any other signs of an infection, or have liver or kidney problems.
- Do not start treatment with this medication, if you’re pregnant or plan to become pregnant, as this drug may harm the unborn baby.
- Breastfeed is not recommended during treatment and for at least 3 weeks following the last dose.
- The abemaciclib 150 mg may be responsible for causing fertility problems in males. It may affect the ability to father a child. Interact with your doctor if this is a kind of concern for you.
- Do not take ketoconazole while on the treatment with this medication. Inform your doctor if you take a drug that contains ketoconazole.
- Avoid grapefruit as well as grapefruit containing products during treatment, as it may increase the amount of Ramiven in the blood.