Uses of medication:
Patiromer is a medication used in order to treat high blood potassium (Hyperkalemia). Patiromer is not recommended to be used as an emergency treatment for life-threatening high blood potassium due to its delayed onset of action.
Dosage: The recommended starting dose of patiromer is 8.4 grams once daily. Administer it with food. Avoid heating this agent (e.g., microwave) or adding to the heated foods or liquids. It is not recommended to take a patiromer in its dry form. The patiromer dose can be increased or decreased, as necessary, to get the desired serum potassium concentration, up to the maximum patiromer dose of 25.2 grams once daily.
Treatment Reactions: The most commonly reported veltassa side effects may include:
- Stomach-area (abdominal) discomfort
Warnings and Precautions:
- Administer veltassa 8.4 gm at least 6 hours prior to or 6 hours following other oral medications.
- Serum potassium should be monitored and adjusted the veltassa dose based on the level of serum potassium and the desired target range.
- The veltassa 8.4 gm powder packet is not recommended in patients with a history of a hypersensitivity reaction to it or any of its existing components.
- The veltassa uses should be avoided in patients with severe constipation, bowel obstruction/impaction, including abnormal postoperative bowel motility disorders, because it may be ineffective and may worsen gastrointestinal conditions.