The klacid tablets are indicated for the treatment of infections caused by susceptible organisms. Such infections include:
- Respiratory tract infections including pneumonia, bronchitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis and sinusitis.
- Skin/soft tissue infections such as cellulitis, erysipelas and folliculitis.
- Disseminated or localized mycobacterial infections due to M. avium or M. intracellulare. Localized infections due to M. chelonae, M. fortuitum, or M. kansasii.
- Protection of disseminated M. avium complex infection in patients with HIV-infection (CD4 lymphocyte counts ≤ 100/mm3).
- The clarithromycin in existence of acid suppression is used for treating the duodenal ulcer and reducing the rate of ulcer recurrence.
The usual recommended dosage of clarithromycin in adults and children aged 12 years or older is one 250 mg tablet twice in a day. In comparatively more severe cases, the dose may be increased to 500 mg twice daily. The time period of the therapy is 5-14 days, excluding the treatment of community acquired pneumonia as well as sinusitis which usually needs 6-14 days of therapy.
- Dosage in patients with mycobacterial infections: The recommended initial dose for adults with disseminated or localized mycobacterial infections (M. avium, M. intracellulare, M. fortuitum, M. chelonae, M. kansasii) is 500 mg twice in a day.
- Dosage for Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) prophylaxis: The recommended daily dosage of clarithromycin in adults is 500 mg twice in a day.
- Dosage for duodenal ulcer associated with H. Pylori Triple therapy regimen: The recommended dose is clarithromycin 500mg tablet twice in a day together with other appropriate antimicrobial treatments and a proton pump inhibitor for 1 to 2 weeks in consultation with national or international guideline recommendations for H.Pylori eradication.
The excess clarithromycin dosage may be responsible for causing gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea, abdominal pain, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Treatment Reactions: The commonly reported clarithromycin side effects may include:
- Abdominal pain
- Injection site pain
- Injection site inflammation
The frequency, type and severity of side effects in children patients are expected to be the same as in adult patients.
In case of development of any adverse reactions with clarithromycin uses, report your healthcare provider as soon as you can.
Warnings and Precautions:
- Patients should be informed that the clarithromycin tablets are only for bacterial infections. It can not treat viral infections (e.g., the common cold).
- Caution is required in giving clarithromycin 500 to patients with impaired hepatic function.
- This drug is used with caution when given concurrently with medicines that induce the cytochrome CYP3A4 enzyme.
- Care is exercised when clarithromycin 500 mg is given to patients with moderate to severe renal impairment.
- The use of these tablets is not recommended in children less than aged 12. For children aged under 12 years klacid suspension can be used.
- Patients should be advised that if pregnancy occurs while on this medicine, there is a potential hazard to the fetus.
- Exacerbation of signs of myasthenia gravis may appear in patients taking clarithromycin 250mg therapy.