What is Trametinib and what it is used for:
Trametinib (Mekinist) is a kinase inhibitor class drug used in the treatment of patients suffering from unresectable or Metastatic Melanoma with V600K or BRAF V600E mutations.
Trametinib, when combined with dabrafenib, is used in the treatment of a patient suffering from Melanoma with BRAF V600E or V600K mutations.
Dosage: Trametinib is available in tablet form of strength 0.5mg and 2mg. It should be taken orally at about the same time each day, either with or without food. Trametinib tablets should be gulped whole with the water. The tablet should not be unwrapped, broken, or chewed.
- When trametinib 2 mg is used as a single agent the common side effects include diarrhea, lymphoedema, and Rash.
- Trametinib side effects when it is combined with the dabrafenib drug include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, peripheral edema, pyrexia, chills, and hypertension.
- Some other side effects when this drug is used for the treatment of other diseases such as Melanoma and non-small cell lung cancer are cough, Rash, decreased appetite, chills, hemorrhage, dry skin, pyrexia, nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, headache, rash, and arthralgia.
Warning and Precautions:
- When trametinib 2 mg is combined with dabrafenib it can cause Cutaneous and Non-cutaneous and New Primary Malignancies.
- There may be signs and symptoms of major hemorrhage.
- Colitis and Gastrointestinal Perforation is very common in the patient receiving mekinist 2 mg.
- Pulmonary embolism and Venous Thromboembolism occur in patients receiving this treatment.
- Using mekinist 2 mg during pregnancy may cause potential damage to the foetus.
- Cardiomyopathy may be a common problem for two to three months of treatment.
- Retinal Vein Occlusion may be reported.
- If any problem of interstitial lung disease occurs discontinue treatment with mekinist permanently.
- Constantly monitor for hyperglycemia.
- Serious febrile reactions can occur when used with dabrafenib.
- Monitor for any skin toxicity, and discontinue mekinist for serious reactions.